If you are a café owner, you would agree that keeping your customers happy is your No. 1 priority. Customer satisfaction is the main growth driver for any restaurant or cafe business. Being the drivers of a critical metric to measure your shop’s success, customers have to be taken care of every single day. In order to do so, a smooth sales process will come in handy. It will help you achieve a good customer satisfaction score.
Long gone are the cash register days! Your cafe business’ sales can actually come in easy with a simple and intuitive point of sale (or POS) system- an automatic sales tracking solution. In case you already have a POS for your coffee shop, your life is already set, and if not, read on!
Some key pointers to help you understand how a POS can be indispensable for your restaurant have been listed below:
1) POS ensures easier billing cycles:- Ease out your complete billing operation and do more in a click! Split your bills, track every transaction and analyze customer data easily.
2) Keep track of inventory and stocks:- Your kitchen will never run out of raw material with a robust POS in place. You can add the recipe management feature too!
3) Run a customised loyalty program:- Build a band of loyal customers, especially millennials with customised and automated loyalty programs.
Point of Sale software for Cafes: What all it can do for you?
Benefits of a POS system are many. While comparing it with a traditional cash register, we came up with a few juicy points.
- With a smart Point of Sale (POS), you can create more detailed reports
- It allows you to carry out inventory management and control as discussed before.
- It enables Customer relationship management (CRM) in a click
- It is your go-to marketing tool
- It comes with integrated omni-channel capabilities
- It helps you improve accuracy
- It enables loyalty programs
- It can allow you to generate gift cards
- It can easily grow/scale according to your business
Now coming to a traditional cash register, it cannot help you accomplish any of the aforementioned points. Yet it does have some benefits too. Let’s skim through them.
- If yours is a small-sized business, a cash register is a low-cost alternative you can consider.
- Most models available in the market are easy to use.
- It comes with fewer components, is portable and is handy.
Clearly, a Point of Sale (POS) is a far more advanced and technically sound alternative.
A point of Sale Software helps you keep up with the espressos and customers, all at once!
The day you actually started thinking about your coffee shop business, your priority list comprised of the espresso machine, quality grinders, and in-shop appliances. The whole idea behind running a successful coffee shop was about things running smoothly for daily profit.
Since times have changed and so have your customers, and assuming that the points above have already been taken care of, a manual cash register will not suffice anymore.
In your plans, a POS Software for Cafe should be of utmost importance. You will be using it the most during your workday, even more than your phone to be precise!
And remember that customers hardly pay in cash anymore. They have grown accustomed to pay with credit or debit cards and receive receipts via emails and text messages instantly.
When was the last time you paid in cash? If you can’t remember, read this carefully. A modern and dependable POS system is inevitable, as without it your coffee business will struggle to complete ordinary transactions.
In fact, according to the Wall Street Journal, credit/debit card transactions superseded cash-only transactions back in 2016.
In 2017, a survey on preferred payment mode revealed that out of 1,000 respondents, 40% went with debit cards, 33% chose credit cards, and just 12% used cash. Jeez, that is something!
From all the above data crunching, we now know that you have to smartly handle customer payments and for that, you need a smart system in place to take care of all the work.
Advantages of a Point of Sale Software for Cafe
By now, it is clear that your coffee shop needs 3 key things to run smoothly. Espresso machines, Coffee grinders and a Point of Sale (POS) system. But what exactly are its advantages?
- Point of sale systems for cafés are faster, easier and cheap when it comes to installation.
- Their deployment is generally simple.
- A POS for café can eliminate human errors and save good money.
- With POS, transactions and execution are quick. This can save crucial time and thereby boost customer satisfaction.
- Online or web-based POS for Cafés come with automatic software updates, backups and system reconfiguration. The best part is your recurring monthly bill will actually cover software updates, maintenance, and technical support.
- With it, a coffee shop owner can track and manage inventory in real-time.
- A smart POS can monitor your sales records and alert you before some item goes out of stock.
- A POS reduces your paperwork. It automatically generates on-demand and planned reports for analysis. That keeps you on your toes about the health of your café business.
- In a POS, you can group your menu or stock items under subgroups as per your business needs and marketing ideas.
- Some smart POS systems for Cafés come with an inbuilt CRM or Customer Relationship Manager. You can extract customer records. That saves you time to enter customer details every single time they visit the coffee shop.
- With a Point of sale system at your coffee outlet, you can enjoy simplified accounting processes. You needn’t hire accountants and pay them salaries anymore.
- In a POS, you can also lookup past transactions.
- You can also use it to automate ordering for the hottest selling products.
- With a POS, authorizing a credit card transaction can be made faster and printing receipts becomes easy. So, the customer gets to receive detailed itemized receipts of items after purchase.
- Point of sale systems can reduce user errors as it has built-in checks to ensure correct data entry
Features that make a difference while choosing a POS Software for cafes
A POS for cafes leverages internet technology so that your coffee shop can sync with complex and advanced tools. With a POS system that had good features in place, you can record customer sales transactions, store sales data, inventory details and figures. Since the POS software keeps a tab on all sales, it can later streamline various tasks like calculate total sales, tax, etc.
- Customer Facing Terminals:- As a coffee shop owner, have you considered reaping the benefits of a POS by now? If yes, you will eventually use it and figure out that some of them flip to become a customer-facing transformer!
When the terminal flips, your customer can sign, tip or place a request digitally. In a matter of seconds, you capture their data and order precisely to suit their needs. It reduces time to complete transactions and lets you serve and more and more guests during peak hours.
- In-depth Reporting:- Your POS system inbuilt CRM will keep collecting the humongous amount of customer data. This will be used to generate a detailed customer database with time. Such data will let you like the café owner to gain valuable insight into customers.
Your POS will let you segment all these data points and compare data over time for more powerful and targeted marketing campaigns.
- Easy Menu Management:- Your barista or costa should be smart enough to order a decaf cappuccino with extra chocolate syrup, or a double espresso shot, and whipped crème quickly. Basically, the system’s modifiers should be quick, smart and easy to customize.
In case your café has a seasonal menu or renders special offers now and then, the café POS System should let you easily update or add to the menu. This is where a cloud-based smart POS for café steps in. It will let you make changes to your menu in real-time from any device. Additionally, it should mark items out of stock.
Therefore, the capabilities of your POS software can go beyond a minimalistic cash register. You can actually carry out complete coffee shop functions with such a holistic café management system. Your efficient POS for Cafe will automate and handle every single aspect of your business online. In order to understand your coffee shop’s daily run better, we would like to understand what reports you generate daily. Also, do you have any loyalty programs or gift card systems in place at your café?
Leave us a comment below.